Friday, July 27, 2012

The Challenge

Hey guys!
This week, I've posed for myself a bit of a challenge.  I'm doing it because I really need to strap back on my grocery spending and watch where the pennies are going.  Not only am I starting school in the fall (which will be plenty expensive enough!), but there also may be a little bit of tight times on the way for my little family and I want to be prepared.

The Challenge: the spend $50.00 or less per week on wholesome, healthy groceries (and locally grown, when possible)

The Inspiration: The Lean Green Bean.  Lindsay and several other bloggers participated in a "Food Stamp Challenge."  The idea behind it is that it is TOTALLY POSSIBLE to eat real, balanced meals on a food-stamp budget.  Basically, they spent less than $70.00 on groceries for themselves and their families for the week.  They bought whole, healthy, real-food groceries, then they blogged about their experience.  Were they able to make it a success?  Were they able to plan healthy meals and stick to their budget? Were they hungry?  Did their family revolt at the creative dishes they made?  Check it out.  it's a pretty neat idea.

My Take: Spend $50.00 or less on real, wholesome food.  My logic is that I do not have an entire passel of people to feed, just myself and my husband, so our budget can be restricted, somewhat.  Also, we've hit a bit of a financial snag for the moment (it will be remedied shortly, do not worry, but for the moment we're playing it safe and close-to-the-vest), so $50.00 on food is actually stretching it.
Plan: 1.)  research stores (probably Kroger and Aldi) to see which ones are cheapest and update prices of everything on list to be accurate
        2.)  find coupons, if possible (most likely it won't be, but it never hurts to look!)
        3.)  prepare for Shopping - get together bags, list, coupons, supplies, etc. and head to the shoppes!
Goal: to spend less than $50.00 on GOOD food to feed us an entire week


With the help of my handy-dandy Google docs, I make this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment